Yale Locks

yale 77 lock
Yale locks are often called a Nightlatch or a Rimlock. But did you know there were various types of Yale lock? They can come in various styles some are easier to use, some offer more security and consequently they can range in price. On these pages we will try to explain some of the different yale locks and their features. But remember to change the keys for any model of Yale lock you only need to change the cylinder on the outside of the door not the whole lock!

Yale 77 & Yale 88

yale 78 lock
These are undoubtedly the commonest type of Yale locks fitted, and probably the commonest form of any lock in the UK. They also feature in the commonest type of lock-out (as some of you may have experienced) as it only requires a slam of the door and you are locked out! Another disadvantage is the snib can drop so deadlocking the yale lock and so the key will not work from the outside.

The lock is unlocked from the inside by turning the handle and from the outside using a key. This lock can only be considered as offering a standard security level and so do not leave your property secured only by this type of Yale lock.

Yale 82

yale 82 lock
This is a Yale 82 lock. It has three main advantages over the standard Yale lock. You will notice it has no snib button to be accidentally activated. To lock the key is turned from the outside, so you can not be locked out as you need to use your key to lock the door. Instead of having a latch this lock has a square bolt that functions like the deadbolt on a mortice lock (see our other pages for information on mortice locks).

We would recommend this lock if you or a relative keeps locking themselves out. The cost of the lock upgrade may be saved by preventing you from being locked out. This yale lock should be used in conjunction with a mortice lock.

So if you would like to discuss anything about your Yale lock call your local Edinburgh locksmith at Capital Lock Services on

0131-556 0470